US Secretary of Commerce Willbur Ross announced in a statement that transactions on WeChat and TikTok will be banned from Sunday.
Commerce Minister Wilbur Ross stated that the US will ban some of the transactions made through WeChat and TikTok from Sunday.
Ross said on Friday that the US will ban US-to-US transactions linked to WeChat and its roof company Tencent, but this will not affect activity in China. Transactions, including distribution, maintenance, and updates via WebChat or TikTok’s “app stores” in the US, are banned from September 20.
“The national security threat posed by TikTok, owned by President Donald Trump by ByteDance, has to be resolved by 12 November, the bans can be lifted if the threats are removed,” the Department of Commerce said in an announcement Friday.
In August, President Trump banned US residents and corporations from doing business with Tencent’s WeChat and Bytedance’s TikTok. Bytedance had been in negotiations with Oracle Corp for a while to sell TikTok shares in an effort to address the president’s security concerns.
Last minute TikTok and WeChat decision came from the USA. US President Donald Trump warned by giving a date with the words, “We will either close TikTok in this country for security reasons, or this application will be sold to another US company.” According to the statement made by the US Department of Commerce; On the grounds of “protecting national security”, social media applications TikTok and WeChat belonging to Chinese companies have been banned in the country as of September 20.